World Blood Donor Day
This year, World Blood Donor Day will once again be celebrated around the world today, 14th of June.
The day serves to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gift of blood and to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donations.
Focus of this year’s campaign
The campaign theme for this year’s World Blood Donor Day is “Safe blood saves lives” with the slogan “Give blood and make the world a healthier place”.
The idea is to focus on the contribution an individual giver can make to improve health for others in the community. Blood donations are needed all over the world to ensure individuals and communities have access to safe and quality-assured blood and blood products in both normal and emergency situations.
- Every few seconds, someone, somewhere, needs blood
- Transfusions of blood and blood products save millions of lives every year
- Over 3,000 donations are needed every week
- 1 in 4 of us will need a transfusion at some point in our lives
- Blood and blood products are essential to care for:
- Women with pregnancy and childbirth associated bleeding
- Patients with blood and bone marrow disorders, inherited disorders of haemoglobin and immune deficiency conditions
- People with traumatic injuries in emergencies, disasters and accidents
- Patients undergoing advanced medical and surgical procedures
What you can do
Become a blood donor today and help make the world a healthier place.
- Commit to being a regular donor and give blood throughout the year
- Encourage your friends and family to become regular blood donors
- Find out your blood type and register as a blood donor
Who can give blood?
Most people can give blood if they are in good health. You must be between 18 and 65 years of age and weigh at least 50kg (7st 12lbs).
When you volunteer to give blood, you will be asked to register your details with the Irish Blood Transfusion Service and to fill in a health and lifestyle questionaire. All the information you give will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Find your clinic
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, all clinics are appointment slot based at present. Call 1850 731137 to make an appointment.